State Rep. Julie Alexander today announced a list of witnesses scheduled to speak at next week’s joint Agriculture Committee meeting.
Alexander, chair of the House Committee on Agriculture, and Sen. Kevin Daley, chair of the Senate Committee on Agriculture, plan to host a joint hearing on Tuesday, Aug. 13 at Michigan State University.
“The objective of this hearing is to listen to the concerns of farmers and agricultural stakeholders as the industry navigates a difficult time,” said Alexander, of Hanover. “I look forward to working together to assemble a comprehensive strategy assisting Michigan’s farmers and agricultural industry as a whole. From our federal partners at USDA to our most local unit, our farmers, this hearing will leave no voice unheard.”
A dozen witnesses representing more than a half-dozen individual organizations are scheduled to testify at Tuesday’s event. The list of speakers is as follows:
- Joel Johnson, Michigan State Executive Director, USDA Farm Service Agency
- Garry Lee, Michigan State Conservationist, USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Adrienne McTaggart, Springfield Regional Office Senior Risk Management Specialist, USDA Risk Management Agency
- Gary McDowell, Director, Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development (MDARD)
- Ken McFarlane, Chief Deputy Director, MDARD
- Ron Hendrick, Dean of College and Natural Resources, Michigan State University
- Jeff Dwyer, Extension Director, Michigan State University
- Dave Armstrong, President and CEO, Greenstone Farm Credit Services
- Rebecca Park, Michigan Farm Bureau
- Doug Darling, Monroe County Farmer
- Stephanie Schafer, Clinton County Farmer
- Tim Boring, Vice President, Michigan Agri-Business Association
In addition to the individuals above, members of the public are welcomed and encouraged to attend this legislative hearing, Alexander said.
The Joint House and Senate Agriculture Committee hearing will take place from 9 a.m. to noon at Michigan State University Pavilion, 4301 Farm Lane, East Lansing.