State Rep. Scott VanSingel today called on Gov. Gretchen Whitmer and the Department of Health and Human Services to amend their unilateral orders and allow winter contact sports to resume in Michigan schools as was previously anticipated until the governor extended the pause last week.
VanSingel said he has heard from many parents, coaches and students about their concerns regarding winter sports.
“I share the concerns that local parents and coaches have with yet another one of the governor’s unilateral orders, this time affecting the well-being of our student-athletes,” said VanSingel, of Grant. “Youth sports are a vital part of instilling self-confidence and learning important lessons about teamwork and perseverance. Many student-athletes are depending on sports scholarships so they can attend college. We can’t deny them these opportunities when there is virtually no data supporting the notion that contact sports spread the COVID-19 virus.”
Winter sports were previously scheduled to start Monday, Feb. 1, before the governor’s extended order banning contact sports until Feb. 21.
Several reforms recommended by the bipartisan Michigan House School Safety Task Force were formally introduced today, including plans to create a special commission to improve the mental health of school-age students, hire additional staff who are dedicated to ensuring school safety, standardize statewide school safety definitions and provide guidance for building new school buildings to ensure security.
Rep. Van Singel, the Chair of the Appropriations Subcommittee on the Michigan Department of Transportation, speaks on the House floor Thursday before passage of what he says is record funding for Michigan roads, including dollars for road maintenance and green infrastructure. The $6.7 billion plan will take effect October 1.