State Rep. TC Clements is urging Monroe County residents to share their challenges and frustrations with the restrictive Secretary of State appointment system.
The department moved to the appointment-only model last June after previously shutting its offices down due to COVID-19. Since that decision, Clements said he has received many complaints from residents who are unable to access the services they need in a timely manner. Still, Secretary of State Jocelyn Benson recently announced her intention to keep the appointment-only model in place permanently.
“I don’t blame people for being frustrated. The quality of service our residents have been receiving from the Secretary of State is unacceptable,” said Clements, of Temperance. “It shouldn’t take months to get into a branch to pay fees and renew our licenses – tasks we only have to complete because the state requires it of us. I encourage you to share the experiences you have had with the Secretary of State’s appointment-only approach, so we can make sure she understands just how poorly her system is working.”
Monroe County residents can now visit www.gophouse.org/posts/reopensos to fill out an online form and share their comments with the House Oversight Committee, which is holding a hearing on the topic Thursday.
As our colleagues in the Michigan Legislature weigh whether to take up a bail reform proposal, we think it’s important to take a step back look at the concerning results produced by similar reforms made in states like New York and California.
State Rep. TC Clements today voted in support of a supplemental budget plan that dedicates federal stimulus dollars to local infrastructure projects, including a local Secor Road expansion project.