State Rep. Julie Calley, of Portland, announced today she is teaming with several libraries in the district on a summer reading contest for children first through fifth grade in Barry and Ionia counties.
Children are encouraged to read as many books as they can through August. Students or their parents should record the titles of completed books and the number of pages read on a bookmark provided to the libraries by Rep. Calley or downloaded and printed from her website at www.RepCalley.com. Readers must submit the bookmarks in the contest box at local libraries or mail them to Rep. Calley’s office by August 31 to be eligible to win. The winners, along with their family members, will be guests of Rep. Calley at the state Capitol to be a Legislator for the Day.
“My goal is to support a lifelong love of reading,” Rep. Calley said. “Strong literacy skills are the foundation to a successful education.”
Libraries taking part in the contest are:
- Clarksville Area Library, Clarksville
- Delton District Library, Delton
- Freeport District Library, Freeport
- Hastings Public Library, Hastings
- Lake Odessa Community Library, Lake Odessa
- Portland District Library, Portland
- Putnam District Library, Nashville
- Saranac Public Library, Saranac
- Thornapple Kellogg Community Library, Middleville