Representing the people of Lake, Oceana and Newaygo counties in the Michigan House was my top priority in 2017.
To keep Michigan moving forward, I will continue to hear residents’ ideas and make sure their voices are heard back in Lansing.
Improving the safety and quality of life for Michiganders is always on my mind when voting and I want to do what is best for the people I represent.
Here are some of the accomplishments of my first year in the Michigan House:
• Voted to prevent local governments from imposing taxes on food and beverages. Taxing such a vital necessity as food could mean tough choices for some families.
• Prioritized Michigan’s transportation system by voting for record funding for roads, bridges and underground water systems.
• Voted for record funding for K-12 education and increased funding for public safety by adding more than 100 more Michigan State Police troopers.
• Supported a grant recommended by the Natural Resources Trust Fund to purchase 354 acres in Newaygo County. The property will be used for hunting, fishing and wildlife observation.
• Sponsored legislation to give property managers more flexibility in determining attorney representation in legal disagreements.
I encourage residents to join me for office hours held regularly each month. I look forward to discussing questions and concerns regarding state government. I look forward to the New Year and will continue to support the people in our communities.
I can be reached via email at ScottVanSingel@house.mi.gov or by phone at (517) -373-7317.